Monday, July 26, 2010

noah turns three


Noah wanted an R2D2 cake for his 3rd birthday. My mom always made us amazing cakes so I am working on following in her footsteps. I was pretty ambitious and probably won't do something this involved every year but occasionally it is fun to try. It was more work than I initially thought but luckily I had help from a friend who does wedding cakes. It certainly isn't "Ace of Cakes" perfect but it turned out good enough for us. R2D2 got a little hot and couldn't handle the weight of the fondant; he has wrinkle bum.

Cake=
homemade fondant
6 layers of round cake
wooden dowels down center
cardboard reinforcement every 2 layers
butter cream frosting
silver icing spray
cut out fondant designs dyed blue
styrofoam arms covered in fondant
A LOT OF TLC and TIME


stay tuned for a post on Miles 1st birthday party, his cake was much simpler!

5 comments:

EM said...

WHOA!!! That is impressive Al. It was great to see you and Eve. Let's get together again soon.

Lovell Family said...

wait...seriously...is this ali? Awesome cake! I won't show this to my boys...they think a box cake mix with blue frosting is cool!

Riss said...

Great job on the cake. I can't believe it has been 3 years since I last saw you. Where does the time go?

Martha said...

you are absolutely crazy! that cake is amazing!!

katie said...

very cute!!!!